Thursday, August 23, 2007

Why I Haven't Finished My Novel (and other excuses and procrastinations)

I started a novel over a year ago. It's been at a standstill at 150 pages for about eight months.

The thing is, I WANT to finish it. I WANT to get it published. I think I just WANT it to happen, like magically, overnight. Hey, that's how it happens for some people.

As much as I love to write, I’ve never kept a journal or a diary (for myself). The thought of writing something everyday totally turns me off. Which is ironic since I’m a copywriter.

The one time I did keep a journal was my senior year in high school. My best friend and I bought each other journals and would write in them everyday...but for the other person.

It would be something like, "Today you wore your dark wash jeans, ankle booties and turquoise tunic. Your hair was in a headband and did this little flip and looked awesome. You totally flirted with Mark during gym class. We snuck out to McDonald's during our free periods for apple pies."

Then we exchanged the journals at graduation.

So I thought I'd start this blog for two reasons:

1. To help me become better about writing everyday (I'm not going to tell you what I'm wearing everyday...I really don't think that you're interested).

2. I'm hoping someone (one person? please?) reads me, loves me, and absolutely MUST publish me.

Plus, it gives me an excuse to put off writing boring headlines at work.


No comments: