Tuesday, July 5, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: 'Just Let Me Lie Down'

I just finished reading 'Just Let Me Lie Down - Necessary Terms For The Half-Insane Working Mom' by Kristin van Ogtrop, the editor of Real Simple magazine.


I had been wanting to read this book ever since hearing a friend (a working mom!) tell me about it. The way she described it to me is, "When you write your novel, it's exactly how I imagine the writing would be."

I took that as a compliment.

Because reading this book has made ME want to write MY book.

It's sweet and funny, and a quick read. vag Ogtrop (wow, that IS a mouthful) has an easy writing style about her. Real Simple is one of my favorite magazines, and one of the few that made the cut over the last year (others fell to the wayside for reasons like, 'Let's save money!' or 'I've seen that Cameron Diaz photo in 12 different places!' and 'One less address to change!').

Working Mothers will like 'JLMLD'. Not because they are going to carry it around like it's the next Dr. Spock book. But because they can relate. And, if nothing else, go to bed thinking, 'Wow, I thought my life was insane! I got it easy!'

Working Non-Mothers (like me!) will also like 'JLMLD'. Although, I have to say, after reading everything that van O juggles, I couldn't help but feel slightly inferior. Here I am, working a normal 8-6 job, no kids, no extra-curricular activities besides enjoying cocktails on the patio, and I find it difficult to find time to do laundry or buy my husband deodorant.

So now that I finished 'Just Let Me Lie Down', it's time for me to stop lying down, and start doing some writing. Every time Real Simple hosts a 'Life Lessons' writing contest, I always say I'm going to enter. Last time I got as far as writing out a few paragraphs (progress!).

If you're looking for a fun summer read, that's light and easy and may cause you to double up on birth control (kidding!*), pick up 'Just Let Me Lie Down'.

*sort of

No comments: