Wednesday, October 22, 2008

KK's Law: When You Run Into Someone You Know, You'll Most Likely Look Like Crap

I took Friday off from my super awesome job and enjoyed a long weekend.

The first half of my weekend was spent in Boston, where I was violated at the doctor’s office, drank too many Mangers and used the Men’s Room. (Twice)

The latter half was spent in Connecticut, eating weird food, doing laundry and searching for a missing knife. (Still haven’t found it)

Here are the highlights:

BOSTON

• I thought that a over a year was way too long to pine away for this mirror. And since I was going to be right near a West Elm, I would stop being cheap and pop in and buy the stupid thing. Hey, I was saving myself the shipping charges, right? Well, guess what? They don’t carry that mirror in the store. It’s only available online. I waited over a year to be told I couldn't buy it in store? Of course.

• When I moved to Boston in 1998, the bus cost $0.60 to ride. Now? $1.50! (My 3-block ride was totally worth it, though. Stiletto boots + cobblestone and brick = unhappy kk)

• Somehow, I’ve shrunk. I’m only 4’ 11 ½” inches tall now. (Time for taller heels!)

• I got to see my old realtor! I had put my house-hunting friend in contact with her and we went out looking at condos. It was great to see her, she looked the exact same. She demonstrated her awesome memory by recalling minute details about me and my life, practically remembering every outfit I wore on our (many, many, many) house hunting outings. I, however, couldn’t even remember her husband’s name. (Shameful)

• I paid under $3.00 a gallon for gas! (I was extremely proud of this fact until I was rummaging through the glove compartment of our 97 Toyota and found a gas receipt from 2002. Gas was $1.13/gallon.)


CONNECTICUT

• I came home Saturday night to attend an Oktoberfest party that I had ZERO interest in attending. We went to the same party last year and I had a lame time. And the food? Tray after tray of different meats; schnitzels and wursts and stews. Not one green food in sight. Don’t Germans eat vegetables???

• Karma was on my side: I was in Homegoods (my favorite store!) on Sunday and saw almost an EXACT replica of the mirror I wanted from West Elm for HALF THE PRICE!!! I scooped that baby up and it’s happily hanging in our downstairs bathroom.

• It was like reunion weekend! I ran into my two best friends from grade school! Actually they ran into each other, and then I ran into them. Of course I looked like crap, wearing jeans, a fleece and a baseball hat. They looked as skinny as ever. It was great seeing them, though, and we made empty promises to keep in touch.

And, here I am back in the work week.

Happy Hump Day everyone!

1 comment:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

As of yesterday, I have already had multiple run-ins with friends/more than friends ;) looking completely like garbage. I need to adopt Coco Chanel's mantra, “I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.”