Monday, July 14, 2008

Cutest. Puppy. Ever.

(Alt. title: Reason #415 Why I Would Make An Awful Mother)

Check out Vito in his car seat!



Speaking of this super-cute puppy, yesterday I thought it would be a great idea to give him and his cousin Dino some Frosty Paws ice cream for dessert. (Who doesn't love ice cream on a warm summer day?)

So there I am, thinking I'm being the Best Mommy In The World, giving the pups a treat.

Wrong.

Before I even put the dishes down, Vito's nose is in the bowl.

All hell breaks loose.

It's like these dogs haven't eaten in days. Dino, the slower eater (usually), is so afraid that Vito is going to try and take his ice cream, puts the whole thing in his mouth and starts wandering around the house, dripping ice cream everywhere. (Um, is it wrong to be thinking at the time, "glad this isn't MY house???")

Vito, needing to eat everything in 3.4 seconds (sans chewing), puts the entire ice in his mouth and tries to chew the frozen treat. Finally he gives up and tries to swallow it, where it gets stuck in his throat. So now he's semi-choking, semi-trying to get it back in his mouth to chew. FINALLY, one Mommy heart-attack later, the ice cream goes down.

We scoot Dino onto the deck, where he eats the entire piece of ice cream, walks ten feet, then throws the entire thing up.

Right.

So much for being a good Mommy.

(Hey! I am available for babysitting! Cheap rates!)


2 comments:

kolls said...

Awwwwwwwww, at least he's ok! My schnauzer LOVED ice cream - and popcorn, and potato chips... how she never got sick, I have no idea.

The Sorority said...

I laughed at the picture of this! I can just imagine Vito trying to inhale his treat to prevent any stealing and then realizing that chewing it would have helped!

Arthur rarely chews anything that in his world is delicious and yummy. One day, he snuck an entire pork tenderloin off the counter and we did not know, he is walking around whining (after the fact I realized that he was choking and trying to get it out of his throat) and then he vomited it up in my lap whole. With.No.Teeth.Marks.On.it! I hugged him hard, lectured him on the perils of stealing our dinner and not chewing it, threw out the pork and then called for a pizza.

Dogs totally rock!