Wednesday, November 17, 2010

on the job

I don't talk much about my new job, but as stress-free as it is compared to my last gig, I do have some very frustrating days.

I'm a creative and digital recruiter. I match people to jobs. I get people work. And, it's pretty rewarding.

And then, you get that one idiot.

ME:  "Hey, Mr. Unemployed, I sent over your resume and they'd like you to start on Monday as a temp for 3 months! Isn't that GREAT news??!!"

MR. U:  "How much are they going to pay me."

ME:  "$500 a week."

MR. U:  "I'm not sure if I'm going to take it."

ME:  "Are you kidding? You've been out of work looking for a job for 8 months. I found you a job, and now you're not going to take it???"

MR. U:  "Well, in my last job I got paid $650 a week."

ME:  "And how much are you getting paid now? ZERO dollars a week."

MR. U:  "I have my unemployment."

ME:  "How much is that a week?"

MR. U:  "$350 a week."

ME:  "So let me get this straight: you haven't worked in 8 months, and I'm offering you a job that pays you $150 a week than your unemployment, and you're saying 'no thank you'?"

MR. U:  "Well, as I said, I made more in my last job. That's not enough pay."

ME:  "BUT IT'S MORE THAN YOU'RE MAKING NOW. PLUS, IT'S A JOB WORKING EVERY DAY, DOING YOUR SKILL, KEEPING YOUR MIND SHARP."

MR. U:  "What if I say yes and then a better paying job comes along?"

((Need I remind him that he's been looking for a job for 8 months? And that his high-paying dream job was yet to fall into his lap?))

ME:  "Look at it like paid networking. You'll be getting paid while you look for a job."

MR U:  "Well, if you put it that way, then it makes sense. I'll take it."

Shoot me now.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

oh boy. it pained me to read this. i don't know how you keep your cool!

FunnyGal KAT said...

I would be terrible at your job because I would not have your patience. I can't believe in this economy you actually have to talk people into taking a job!

The Kale Patch said...

It is astonishing that anyone would have that kind of gall! I wonder how often that happens. I have met quite a few people who have told me that unemployment pays just slightly less than a job would. But isn't it better to have a job and make your own way, if you can? You can't move up "the ladder" if you're unemployed. Yikes. Glad it wasn't me. You're saintly.

There was an error in this gadget