Friday, January 30, 2009

Allergies are funny

And by funny, I mean freaking scary.

Guess what I found out I was allergic to last night?

Aspirin.

Yeah, I know. Who the hell is allergic to aspirin?

Here's how it went down:

I came home from my haircut (super cute) with a headache (super painful).

Normally I'm a Motrin girl. But for some reason, I tried a different pain reliever. This particular brand is a client of mine, so I thought I'd give them a little holla at home and try them out.

Oh.
My.
God.

And hour after taking it, I was covered in HIVES. And by hives, I meant WELTS.

They were everywhere! Arms, back, chest, neck, face...even in my ears.

They were so itchy I wanted to rip my skin off. I was writhing around, scratching like a mofo.

Seriously. I looked like a FREAK.

And then I started to freak out. What if my throat closed and I stopped breathing?

I grabbed the package, which so warmly read:

Aspirin may cause a severe allergic reaction which may include:
• hives (check!)
• facial swelling (swelling?!)
• asthma (gasp!)
• shock (WHAT???)

After a call to the pharmacy, we determined it would be in my best interest to take Benadryl. STAT.

I was leery, but desperate. After taking Benadryl, I've been known to collapse into sleep while in the middle of a sentence. I was petrified that if I fell asleep now, I would never wake up.

After an hour, the hives began to calm down, as did yours truly.

I mean, there's got to be a better way to find out you're allergic to something rather than trial and error, no?

(At least my headache went away.)

2 comments:

merelyme said...

No!
This and last week I officially claim as "haircut week". I had to cancel one week ago (already overdue) and told my husband tonight, "I am overdue for hair color, cut, nails! It is girls' weekend and I am still going...they love me anyways!" He said, and I quote, "Yes, Dear." :)
Everyone I see has "new hair".

FunnyGal KAT said...

Ugh. That sounds terrible. I would have had trouble taking the Benadryl on top of the aspirin because the both times I mixed medications, I got violently ill. Wouldn't it way better to find out you are allergic to anchovies or broccoli or anything else you wouldn't mind giving up anyway?

There was an error in this gadget