Thursday, February 25, 2010

feeling twitty

We have these Lunch and Learn programs at work every so often. People in the company will lure fellow coworkers to their presentations by dangling free (and rather untasty) lunch in their faces.

Lots of companies do this. I know Mr. KK's does; he'll spend lunches learning about steel vs. concrete, and load-bearing walls.

My company's Lunch and Learns are a little different.

Today's was about Twitter.

What I learned today:

• it's called Twitter but your posts are called Tweets
• there are 50 million tweets EVERY DAY
• it's a new language filled with @ and # and _
• Twitter is taking over the world
• I'm afraid of Twitter

It took me forever to cave and join Facebook.

Twitter scares the crap out of me. It feels like a socially-acceptable means of stalking.

I am officially NOT on Twitter...

Are you on Twitter? What do you tweet about?

6 comments:

spellingqueen81 said...

I was afraid of Twitter at first also. I finally got a Twitter account a few months ago. I started using it only for news. I subscribed to the Twitter accounts of The Boston Globe, the Red Sox, a few celebrities, etc. After a while, however, I got into it! I even wrote a blog entry about it called "Twitter and the Technophobe" about why I finally caved in.
I think you'd be surprised what you can learn. It's certainly something you can live without, but it's a lot of fun too!

Leroy said...

No tweets for me, but there was an interesting article on boston.com today regarding Socks, a cat who tweets and has 1.5 million followers and is # 98 on twitter's most followed feeds.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/9_lives_and_15.html

kk said...

Socks the cat has 1.5 million followers and is a power tweeter?

He'll have a book deal before me.

What am I doing wrong???

Little Ms Blogger said...

I follow Sockington the cat. He is very funny.

I was opposed to Twitter until I took a workshop with Mignon Fogarty (Grammar Girl) who said it is a great way to follow agents and be able to reach out to them.

I like reading clever tweets. A person who grab my attention in 140 characters wins my heart.

FunnyGal KAT said...

I am not a Twitter-ite. I figure I'm hardly funny enough to keep my blog updated, so what would make me think people would want to read constant updates about my life? Besides, I'm verbose and there's no way I'd be able to stay within the character limit!

Rebecca Dot Com said...

im a twitter girl....

i mainly use twitter for my blog to post blog topics and let my followers now that my blog is updated!!!

justcherishtoday.blogspot.com