Overall, Thanksgiving was a success! Nine very happy, very full people left my house Thursday evening, with very empty hands. Which means I have a refrigerator-full of leftovers.
The last 3 days have been a blur – from getting everything ready on Wednesday, to executing Thanksgiving 2008 on Thursday, to braving the shopping crowds on Black Friday.
Here’s a mid-break recap so far:
- Craziest thing I saw at the grocery store:
A rather unkempt woman in her fifties, shopping with one of the grocery carts that has the big red plastic baby seat attached to the top of it…with no baby.
- Weirdest thing that happened at the grocery store:
Being hip-checked by a woman in the condiments aisle so she could grab for a jar of fire engine red, heavy, gelatinous ham glaze. (Gross.)
- Number of times I zig-zagged in the grocery store because my list was organized by ingredients instead of store planogram: 11
- Biggest party foul:
First Place: Yours Truly knocking over an entire glass of red wine on my brand new cream tablecloth.
Runner-up: My dad giving the bar and living room hardwood floor a tonic bath.
- Most popular dish:
Appetizer: Roasted figs stuffed with blue cheese, wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with honey.
Main dish: Cornbread, sausage and apple stuffing.
Dessert: Pumpkin cheesecake. (Thank you, The Cheesecake Factory!!!)
- Most MacGuyver moment: My Grandfather’s homemade double-pie transporter, made from an empty wine box, tin foil and two hangers from the dry cleaners.
- Number of pounds of our turkey breast: 18! (Um, what size was the whole turkey???)
- Biggest Thanksgiving hangover: Yours Truly.
ME: “I only had 3 glasses of wine.”
MR. KK: ((raised eyebrows))
ME: “Granted, they chased an entire bottle of Prosecco...”
- Weirdest thing that happened: a chardonnay-soaked high school classmate “petting” my hair.
- First time eating leftovers: At 12:30am, post vodka night out.
- Number of Christmas presents bought: 1.5
- Number of shoppers out on Black Friday: all of them.
Hope you all had a yummy holiday!